Monday, May 27, 2013

Dark & Lovely: Au Naturale Review

Alright, I said I was going to review it in a few weeks....yeah, I don't need a few weeks. Okay, so this is what I bought:







This line of products promises to ant-shrinkage, all day elongation, moisture, shine, and hold. Before I get started, please remember that this review is only relevant to the experience on MY hair. I am not being paid to do this (I mean my page only has about 100 views anyway, so Dark & Lovely did not send this to me), I bought these products with my own money because I wanted to see how they would do!

Hydrating Soak Shampoo: Umm.....not so much! I mean, this shampoo was nothing to write home about in my opinion. It did not strip my hair which made me happy, but I don't know that it made my hair feel any different than any other sulfate shampoo I have used. It lathers really well and cleans the hair. If you like heavily scented products, then you will like the scent, if not, then you will not be happy. I would not re-purchase this. I have used cheaper shampoo's with better results. In my honest opinion: there are better shampoo's out there and I will not buy this again once the bottle is gone. ( I bought it, so I'm using it!)

Knot Out Conditioner:I was also not impressed by this conditioner. A conditioner called "knot out" to me would imply that it is super slippery and makes detangling a breeze! Well, that is not the case with this conditioner. When I apply it to my hair, it has slip, but not as much as I would expect given the name. I do not instantly feel moisture being re-introduced to my hair and you have to apply a significant amount ( I am also a lil heavy handed with conditioner). Lucky for me, I already detangle my hair when I do my pre-poo, so once I washed and applied this conditioner, I did not have a ton of work to do. With that said, if I was applying this to hair that had not previously been detangle, I could easily see it being a nightmare to detangle because the slip is just not significant. Again, I have used cheaper conditioners with better results ie. HE Hello Hydration, Suave naturals Coconut conditioner, V05 conditioners, etc. The conditioner is also heavily scented, not completely moisturizing, and lacking the slip you would expect with the name. Will not be re-purchasing this either once it is gone.

Curl Moisturizing Souffle: Okay, this product was definitely not a win for me. I can't quite describe the texture of the product. It has kind of a creamy consistency but a little thicker? IDK, it's weird! Anywhoo, this stuff did not do anything it says! It's supposed to give definition without crunch and add moisture. UMMM......NO! First of all, I did not use this product for a wash n go. I thought about it, but the consistency and the non-slippery quality of it let me know that I would not be applying this to wet hair to be worn out all day! I used this to do braid out and twist outs. If you do not let your hair dry COMPLETELY with this stuff in, you will have a frizzy, poofy, tangled mess! There is not much moisture, but it didn't dry my hair out which I guess is a plus. It does not get crunchy which is what the product promises. However, it does leave your hair dull looking, maybe a tiny bit of a sheen, but nothing that says "hey look at me! My hair is moisturized, soft, fluffy, and I want to keep my hands in it all day!". Absolutely not! The anti-shrinkage claim is non-existent also. But, I will say that I don't believe any product that claims ant-shrinkage. Natural hair shrinks....period. So yeah, this was also disappointing to the point that I'm not sure I will even use this till it's gone. I may be tossing it in the trash. As we speak, I am sitting with the conditioner in my hair, thinking of a style and trying to determine if I get lazy and do a twist out, will I even use this product. This product was definitely not for me.

10-in-1 Gelee: Definitly not for me. It's a thing, goupy gel. It reminds me of the Murray's Loc and Twist Gel, but I like the Murray's better! I'm not quite sure what the purpose of this is or why it's in the line, but whatever. What I did find it useful for is when I would pull my hair up into a puff or bun or something and didn't want to gel my hair, this would provide the hold without the build up or that "slicked down" look. I will use it for that purpose in the future, but nothing else. It did not make a difference or add definition when twisting. Will also NOT be re-purchasing!


So overall, I guess you could say that I was not pleased with this line and it just was not for me. My hair is probably a 4b/4a mix with some 3c in the back. So yes my hair is highly textured and this line did nothing for me. I look for my products to not only be good stylers, but to be nourishing for my hair. This line definitely did not do that. It's full of bad ingredients,  but we all know that some of those products can do very well in our hair. Well this one does not fit into that category for MY hair. In all honesty I have gotten better results using TreSemme Naturals Shampoo and conditioner as well twisting with some coconut oil and eco-styler gel. My hair looked and felt better than with using this line. So I will not re-purchase this line EVER, and my fix for trying this product has been satisfied!

I will be reviewing the ORS CURLS Unleashed line next. I have reason to believe I will have better results. Ultimately, I am convinced once I my product junky fix has been completely satisfied, I will be sticking with my Oyin, Qhemet Biologics, oils, and eco-styler gel!


Hope this review was helpful and I will holla at you peeps later!


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment