Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Drug Store and Beauty Supply products.....Yay or Nay?

Alright. So there has been an influx of products geared toward natural hair. Are they any good? What's in them? Will they reduce shrinkage? Will they define my curls?

Well, who knows! All I know is that these hair care company's like Dr. Miracles, Dark & Lovely, and ORS to name a few, have jumped on the natural hair band wagon. I mean, after all, black hair care is a money maker, so why not. I have seen so many reviews of people being disappointed because they did not give them curls or reduce shrinkage. Well, here is my two scents on the whole situation!

I've been natural for 5 yrs now and here is what I learned: No product...I don't care what it claims....is going to give you curl definition that you do not naturally have. Period. And shrinkage....well, it's just a part of being natural! For these companies to promise such things is absolutely absurd! My suggestion to those reading is to not fall for the okie doke! Experimentation with products is all part of the journey to find out what works for your hair and what doesn't. So us naturals will go through many products usually before we find out what works. What's most important is that the products we choose moisturize and keep our hair health. You don't want your products to cause a lot of buildup on your scalp or hair, and you don't want them to dry your hair or cause breakage.

So will drug store and beauty supply products get the job done? Some say yes. Some say all natural is the way to go. I say.....I don't really know...but I'm willing to find out and tell ya!

When I first went natural, I tried everything from Carol's Daughter to Bronner Brothers Oil Moisturizer! I never tried any for an extended period of time, but what I did find to work, I stuck with. My tried and true are Qhemet Biologics: Amla and Olive Heavy Cream, Amla Pomade, and Athiopeka hydrate and twist butter, Oyin Handmade: Juices & Berries, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Whipped Pudding, and Honey Hemp conditioner, Hairveda: Cocasta Oil and Vatika Frosting, and good old Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I always rotate the two brands and usually don't have them both at the same time. These always have and most likely always will work for my hair.

However, I am on the commercial natural products bandwagon! Why? Well, I have 2 main  reasons.

1. I am now in grad school and on a budget.

2. I want to see if there are alternatives that will nourish and moisturize my hair without having to order online or spend a ton of money

First up...Dark & Lovely Au Natural line.




Give me a couple of weeks. I want to use them several times in different ways before I tell you what I think! Just know...I DO NOT DO WASH AND GO'S!!!  This means that the defining creams I use will be for styling. I do desire definition when setting twists, braids and curls! So I will be using the defining creams for that purpose. I will be looking to see if they define without getting hard and causing crunch, if they will moisturize, and if they cause build up!

Alright, see you guys in a few! I'm sure there will be posts and updates until the full review!


Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment